Monday, April 24, 2006

Canoe trip notes

Canoe points on the buttahatchee river
Took a nice trip down the bartahatchee/buttahatchee river this weekend. If you happen to be going to JSUPT (pilot training) at Columbus AFB I highly recommend taking a ride on the Bart!

Military members can rent canoes for $6 at from CAFB Outdoor Rec. An inner tube would probably suffice. For me the canoe's a cheaper option.

Rope swings along the banks rock! I became a man the day I flopped my first Gainer into the Bart next to the burnt out van. IMHO a day on the Buttahatchee is as fun as flying formation in the T-37.

Here's a list of vitals for a Bart ride:
  • Road Map (see link above)
  • Canoe/kayak/tube
  • PFD (drowning threat Moderate)
  • .22 (Water snake condition Moderate)
  • Coozy Necktie (you'll need it to keep from spilling your beverage while paddling)
  • Sunscreen
  • River shoes for portaging and climbing river banks for rope swings
  • Four wheel drive vehicle is a plus (Some of the launch sites can be dicey in lesser vehicles)
  • Visit to Hwy 45 BP station for provisions (I recommend jo jo's, fried chicken, beef jerky, and an 18 pack of drinks they go quickly)
  • Dry bag for anything you don't want completely drenched (tie it to the boat)
  • Labrador retriever
That's all you need. Plan on an early departure since the logistics can be rough with a large group.

Use the buddy system. If you leave someone with the boats upstream while you drop off a car or two downstream, be sure to leave your buddy with some company and a cooler. It can be over an hour round trip just to drop off the cars and they won't have the luxury of Air Conditioning while they are waiting for you.

Lord willing and the crick don't rise, you'll have a great day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mention a four wheel drive vehicle being nice to have for your canoe trip. Now I have a yellow Japanese car that I've tuned with performance tires and a kicking system. Could I also get back to where the canoe pull out is?

Curious

6:45 AM  
Blogger virgil said...

The critical thing to ask yourself is, "Should I consider my stereo an aftermarket product?" Get back to me with a reply and I can help you out.
-V

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home